Courtesy: Threadgill’s Restaurant in Austin, TX
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves 10 people
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese cubed in ¾ chunks
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can green chilies, diced (can use Cajun spices as a substitute)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In 14 inch pan, sauté onion in butter. Add squash and cook until slightly softened. Remove and drain. (This is critical. Squash has a lot of water in it)
- Mix squash and onions with soup, green chilies and cheese in a large bowl and put in a large casserole dish.
- Cover with breadcrumbs and bake for about 30 minutes or until it is completely hot. You can add grated cheese on top the last 10 minutes or so.