As we approach Thanksgiving and the holiday season we will be sharing more and more of our favorite cold weather recipes with our blog and newsletter subscribers. Keep reading for two of our all-time favorites — one savory and one sweet!
Bacon ‘N Bleu Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in a medium pot until melted. Whisk in 6 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Then whisk in 1.5 cups milk. Continue whisking until thickened.
- Stir 1.25 cups crumbled bleu cheese into mixture and stir until cheese has melted and combined.
- Peel and slice 12 large new potatoes into 1/8-inch slices and place in layers in casserole dish.
- Top with 1 pound cooked and chopped bacon and 1 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli then pour cheese sauce overtop.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove casserole and uncover. Sprinkle 1/4 cup breadcrumbs overtop then bake another 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Quick Butterscotch Ice Cream Pie
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup pecans, 1 cup graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 cup butter. Mix well and press into a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Combine 1 cup butterscotch morsels and sugar mixture in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and blend on high for 1 minute. Cool to room temperature.
- Fold into 1 3/4 cups heavy cream. Spoon 1/2 of the filling onto the crust and sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans on top. Spoon remaining filling on top. Garnish with 1/2 cup pecans and freeze for several hours before serving.