The perfect meal for a warm Summer night, this Dill Yogurt Poached Salmon is a refreshing, light-entrée option to enjoy with family and friends.
Yogurt Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup Full fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Minced shallot
- 1 tbsp. Minced fresh dill
- 2 tbsp. Fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- Large pinch ground coriander
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Pieces center cut Salmon filet
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Medium leek or onion cut into large pieces
- 1/2 Fennel bulb, sliced
- A few fresh sprigs thyme and/or dill
- 1 Bay leaf
- Kosher salt
Lemon Dill Yogurt Sauce Method:
- In a medium bowl, stir together yogurt, shallot, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, and coriander seed. Sason with salt and pepper.
Poached Salmon Method:
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 quart cold water with lemon juice, leek or onion, celery, fennel, thyme and/or dill, bay leaf, and a large pinch of salt.
- Add salmon to poaching liquid. Water should cover, but if not, add enough to just cover salmon. Set over medium heat and bring poaching liquid to 170°F. Adjusting heat to maintain water temperature, cook salmon until it registers 115°F, about 10-15 minutes. (Cooking time may vary widely, so be sure to check temperatures to determine doneness.) Carefully transfer salmon to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve salmon while warm, spooning yogurt sauce on top. You can also chill the salmon and yogurt sauce before serving.
Zesty. Spicy. Tasty.
You’ve gotta give our simple recipe for Spicy Thai Chicken Kebabs a try. Fire up the grill and season at your own risk… some like it hot — including us!
Thai Spice Mix Ingredients:
- 7-10 Thai basil leaves
- 1 tbsp. Cracked pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp. Chili/Red pepper flakes
- 1 inch Ginger, sliced
- 2-3 Garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. Brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
Chicken Kebab Ingredients:
- 1.5 lbs. Boneless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 wooden Skewers soaked in water
- Chopped Thai basil
- Romaine lettuce to serve
Spice Mix Method:
- Place all ingredients in a small food processor and pulse until you have a smooth paste. Set aside.
Chicken Kebab Method:
- Mix the chicken and spice mix together and set aside for a least a few hours, preferably overnight. Place the wooden skewers in water to soak overnight as well.
- The following day, skewer the chicken dividing up evenly between the skewers.
- Prepare the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grill with some oil.
- Place the chicken skewers on the grill and cook for 5-10 minutes per side until chicken is cooked through (160˚F) and charred from the grill.
- Sprinkle black pepper and chopped basil on top before serving.
- Serve with Romaine lettuce (optional).
On the prowl for an impressive meal to prepare this Valentine’s Day? This recipe for Braised Lamb Shank requires very little work, but the payoff is utterly delicious. Serve with a starch, a green and a glass of your favorite red, and prepare to indulge!
- 6 Lamb shanks, trimmed of fat
- 1 Large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups Beef stock
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1 tbsp, Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- Combine flour and pepper in a large Ziplock bag.
- Dredge lamb shanks in flour.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and fry shanks until golden brown on each side. Turnover with tongs.
- Place shanks in Dutch Oven, or large ovenproof pot with lid. Add minced garlic and bay leaves to pot.
- Add onion slices to frying pan. Cook stirring occasionally until onion is soft. Add red wine to frying pan. Cook stirring occasionally until slightly syrupy, approximately five minutes.
- Pour onion mixture over shanks and sprinkle Italian seasoning over shanks.
- Pour beef stock into the pot. Cook in 375˚ F oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Mix up the menu with our simple recipe for Chicken Marsala. This flavorful meal of mushrooms, prosciutto and Marsala wine over Passanante’s juicy, tender, hormone and antibiotic-free chicken is the ultimate Italian food crowd-pleaser.
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (item #: 115510 )
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. Prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. Cremini or Porcini mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 1/2 cup Sweet Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board cover in plastic wrap and pound with a flat meat mallet until they are about 1/4-inch thick.
- Put some flour in a shallow platter and season with salt and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly.
- Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, dredge both sides of the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess. Slip into the pan and fry for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown, turning once. Remove the chicken.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the prosciutto to the drippings in the pan, sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the Marsala in the pan and boil down for a few seconds to cook out the alcohol. Add chicken stock and simmer for a minute.
- Stir in the butter and return the chicken to the pan; simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Garnish with chopped parsley before serving
Curious About Passanante’s Home Food Service?
Learn how thousands of families are skipping the grocery store lines and stocking their homes with delicious, chemically-purer foods with the help of Passanante’s! Request a Free Food Sample here and find out more!
As we approach Thanksgiving and the holiday season we will be sharing more and more of our favorite cold weather recipes with our blog and newsletter subscribers. Keep reading for two of our all-time favorites — one savory and one sweet!
Bacon ‘N Bleu Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in a medium pot until melted. Whisk in 6 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Then whisk in 1.5 cups milk. Continue whisking until thickened.
- Stir 1.25 cups crumbled bleu cheese into mixture and stir until cheese has melted and combined.
- Peel and slice 12 large new potatoes into 1/8-inch slices and place in layers in casserole dish.
- Top with 1 pound cooked and chopped bacon and 1 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli then pour cheese sauce overtop.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove casserole and uncover. Sprinkle 1/4 cup breadcrumbs overtop then bake another 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Quick Butterscotch Ice Cream Pie
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup pecans, 1 cup graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 cup butter. Mix well and press into a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water over medium heat. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Combine 1 cup butterscotch morsels and sugar mixture in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and blend on high for 1 minute. Cool to room temperature.
- Fold into 1 3/4 cups heavy cream. Spoon 1/2 of the filling onto the crust and sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans on top. Spoon remaining filling on top. Garnish with 1/2 cup pecans and freeze for several hours before serving.