This simple recipe for Curried Shrimp and Squash is a cinch to put together and as we approach fall it’s the perfect meal for a crisp evening. After all, no flavor says fall quite like squash.
If you want to simplify mealtime and eliminate those nagging trips to the grocery store, give Passanante’s Home Food Service a try! For more than 100 years we’ve been helping thousands of families improve the quality of foods they enjoy, save money and reduce time spent shopping for and preparing meals. If you’d like to learn more about what we do and try a free sample of some of our foods click here.
- 1 Large acorn squash
- 3 tsp. Canola oil, divided
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 Can light coconut milk
- 1.5 tsp. Fish sauce
- 1 to 1.5 lb. Peeled raw shrimp
- 2 tbsp. Lime juice
- 1 tsp. Lime zest
- Basmati rice
- Preheat oven to 400˚F
- Blanch squash in microwave by cooking on high for 4 minutes and cut into half inch slices.
- Remove seeds from slices and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Toss with 2 teaspoons of canola oil on a baking sheet and bake until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon of canola oil, then minced garlic and Thai red curry paste. Cook approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in coconut milk and fish sauce. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns pink, approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in squash, lime juice and lime zest. Serve over rice.
Every once in a while that irresistible hankering for some delicious seafood creeps up and this week we are definitely feeling it! These next two recipes for Coconut Shrimp and Garlic butter Shrimp feature our Colossal Raw Shrimp and can be served as an appetizer or along some of your favorite sides as an entrée.
All Passanante’s seafood is wild caught from Atlantic or Pacific waters, fresh frozen and never thawed. To thaw our Colossal Raw Shrimp we recommend placing frozen shrimp in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours. Rinse lightly in colander with cold running water and let drain for approximately 2 minutes. For quick thawing, place shrimp in colander under cold running water for 5-7 minutes while tossing lightly.
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 Large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 Cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 Cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Pound raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails attached
- Coconut oil
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- In a second bowl, beat the eggs
- In a third bowl, combine Panko and coconut
- Dip the shrimp into the flour, then the eggs, and then generously coat the shrimp in the coconut mix. Set the coated shrimp aside on a plate as you coat the remaining shrimp.
- Add enough coconut oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet on medium heat. Fry the coconut shrimp in batches being careful to not crowd them (roughly 6-7 shrimp at a time). Flip after 2 minutes and fry the other side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the finished coconut shrimp on a plate lined with a paper towel as you fry the rest.
- Sprinkle with a little chopped cilantro (optional) and serve with your favorite sweet chili sauce or an orange chili sauce. Leftover coconut shrimp keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and freezes well for about 2 months.
Garlic Butter Shrimp
- 7 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 Pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste. Stir occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic to the skillet, stir frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in remaining 6 tablespoons butter until melted and smooth.
- Add shrimp and gently toss to combine
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley leaves, if desired.