There’s almost nothing better than coming home to a house filled with the irresistible aroma of a hot meal, which is why we absolutely love crockpot creations. This week we’re featuring a recipe for delicious crockpot Roasted Salsa Verde Chicken with homemade salsa verde. You can, of course, use your favorite store-bought salsa verde, but this recipe is simple and really makes the difference — we’re confident that once you try it you won’t go back. Just toss a few of your Passanante boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot and enjoy this tasty meal for days!
- 10 tomatillos, husk removed and washed
- 1-2 serrano peppers (1 serrano for medium, 2 for spicy)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, cut into fourths
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
1. Turn oven on broil.
2. Line a cooking sheet with foil. Place tomatillos, onion, and serrano pepper(s) on the cooking sheet. Place in oven and broil for 15-20 minutes, or until they are slightly charred and the tomatillos are very soft, squishy and oozing.
3. Add the roasted tomatillos, onions and serranos to a food processor with the lime juice, minced garlic and chopped cilantro. Puree. Serve immediately if you want it served warm, or place in a storage container and store for up to 1 week.
Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Place 1/2 red onion, sliced, in bottom of crockpot. Layer seasoned chicken breasts on top of the onions. Stir together 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup homemade roasted salsa verde and pour salsa mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours then shred using two forks. Throw on top of a salad, make some tacos or stuff and roast a poblano pepper!