Burrr! These below freezing temperatures call for some classic comfort food to warm you up from the inside out and homemade chicken pot pie with cornbread crust is just the ticket. If you have a freezer full of Passanante’s Home Food Service foods you probably already have all the ingredients needed to make this simple cold weather favorite.
Interested in expanding your horizons with more hormone-free meats, organic produce and irresistible pre-made meals?? Check out our full product listing here.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 potato, diced and boiled
- 1 1/2 cups cooked carrots, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place oil and butter in a pan with onion and saute for 4-5 minutes
- Blend in flour and slowly whisk in the chicken stock
- Cook the mixture until thickened (3-4 minutes)
- Stir in chopped cooked chicken, frozen peas, potato, cooked carrots, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce
- Pour evenly into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray
- Cook until heated through and thickened.
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Combine yellow corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine milk, egg, and canola oil
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients stirring until just moist
- Spoon the batter evenly over the top of the chicken pot pie-filled casserole dish
- Bake until golden brown; about 22-25 minutes.
Serve with warm rolls and enjoy!