With Christmas only days away we thought it was only appropriate to start bringing out the recipes people really care about … desserts! No holiday gathering is complete without a fully stocked sweets selection to tempt everyone’s taste buds from chocolate lovers to gingerbread men. These next recipes are the perfect addition to any menu and go great with that nightcap cup of decaf!
We hope all of our customers, friends and family have an incredible Christmas next week. We hope your freezers are fully packed with a delicious assortment of meals you can whip up for the family during a movie night at home, or when the neighbors drop in to catch up. Enjoy!
Chocolate-Praline Jumbo Holiday Mud Squares:
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) jar carmel-flavored topping
- 1 cup butter (sinful, we know!)
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl stirring well
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch square pan
- Bake at 350 for 6 to 8 minutes then cool slightly
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour with caramel topping and spread with 1/4 inch from edge of the pan. Set aside
- Combine 1 cup butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat until melted.
- Stir in sugar, 1 cup flour, eggs and vanilla
- Pour mixture over caramel topping in the pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Cool slightly and spread with chocolate frosting (see below)
Homemade Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine butter, cocoa, and water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar together, add the egg and mix well
- Mix in the molasses
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt
- Gradually add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
- Mix until well-combined
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours (overnight is preferred)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease the cookie sheets
- On a lightly floured surface, or between 2 sheets of wax paper, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick for chewy cookies or 1/8 inch thick for crispy cookies
- Cut desired shapes using cookie cutters
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cookies are firm and lightly toasted on the edges.
Happy Eating & Happy Holidays!
Passanante’s Home Food Service