Thanks very much for giving us your input on our Facebook Page as to what you would like to read more of on our blog. Everyone at Passanante’s Home Food Service was so delighted recipes were at the top of the list, and we are excited to share this simple and delicious Italian Summer Salad Recipe with you!
Step 1: Homemade Croutons
- 3+ T. olive oil
- 1 loaf french bread cubed (or can you can use sourdough, Italian or anything that looks good
- 1 t. kosher salt
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Add bread. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until browned. Toss croutons during cooking for even browning, add more oil as needed.
Step 2: Fresh and Colorful Salad
- 1 cucumber
- 2 C. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut to size of tomatoes
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and cut to size of tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 15-20 basil leaves, julienne large
- 1/4 C. capers, drained (optional)
Step 3: Homemade Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar (both taste good)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (you can also use a jar of minced garlic- it’s easier and lasts longer)
- 1/2 t. dijon mustard
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/4 t. ground pepper
- 1/2 packet splenda or 1/2 t. sugar
Mix all salad ingredients in large bowl. Add croutons. Toss with vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
We hope you enjoy this tasty treat at much as we do! Passanante’s Home Food Service delivers all the fresh and organic produce you could ask for in addition to name brand groceries — which helps make any recipe quick and easy!