It’s been a long time since we posted our last dessert recipe so today we wanted to share an old family favorite, Hummingbird Cake. This three layer treat makes a beautiful bridal shower dessert, birthday cake, or because-I-can cake… which happens to be our favorite kind! (wink)
Passanante’s Home Food Service is best known for our food delivery service and passion for hormone-free high quality meats and organic veggies, but you may not know that we’re equally as passionate about celebrating life’s moments with friends and family. We hope you will find an opportunity to enjoy this delicious cake in the company of all of your favorite people sooner rather than later.
What you’ll need for the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
What you’ll need for the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
How to prepare cream cheese frosting:
- Combine cream cheese and butter, beating until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
How to prepare Hummingbird Cake:
- Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not beat.
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans and bananas.
- Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. You can also combine the pecans in the actual frosting if you prefer.
Lots of love & happy eating,
Passanante’s Home Food Services