Craving a light, summery dessert after dinner? Don’t settle crumbly store-bought cookies, prepare a pan or two of these delicious lemon bars and pop the extras in the freezer for a quick craving crusher anything your sweet tooth starts to bite. If you’re into lemon meringue pie, you won’t have any complaints about these sweet and tangy treats.
Keep reading to find out how you can transform this recipe into Almond Amaretto Bars or even Cherry Bon-Bon Bars, and click here to request a free food sample from Passanante’s Home Food Service!
Photo Credit: TheRedHeadBaker.com
Lemon Bar Ingredients:
- 4 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 Cup softened butter
- 2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 Cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 5 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Extra powdered sugar
How to Prepare Lemon Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend margarine, salt, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 2 cups flour to make soft dough.
- Press evenly into an undressed 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice, sugar, and 1/4 cup flour.
- Blend until smooth, then pour mixture over baked crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake 25 minutes or until firm.
- Let cool, then dust with powdered sugar and slice into bars.
Almond Amaretto Bars
- 1 Cup sliced almonds
- 5 Tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
- Substitute Amaretto liqueur for lemon juice.
- Omit lemon peel.
- After pouring filling over crust, sprinkle with sliced almonds.
Cherry Bon-Bon Bars
- 2 Dozen cherries, well-drained
- 1 Ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 Ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 Stick Margarine
- 5 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Substitute maraschino cherry juice for lemon juice.
- Omit peel.
- Chop well-drained cherries and add to filling.
- Omit powdered sugar topping.
- Melt semisweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate with margarine.
- Spread over bars as a glaze.
Check out a few of our other dessert recipes:
With Christmas only days away we thought it was only appropriate to start bringing out the recipes people really care about … desserts! No holiday gathering is complete without a fully stocked sweets selection to tempt everyone’s taste buds from chocolate lovers to gingerbread men. These next recipes are the perfect addition to any menu and go great with that nightcap cup of decaf!
We hope all of our customers, friends and family have an incredible Christmas next week. We hope your freezers are fully packed with a delicious assortment of meals you can whip up for the family during a movie night at home, or when the neighbors drop in to catch up. Enjoy!
Chocolate-Praline Jumbo Holiday Mud Squares:
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) jar carmel-flavored topping
- 1 cup butter (sinful, we know!)
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl stirring well
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch square pan
- Bake at 350 for 6 to 8 minutes then cool slightly
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour with caramel topping and spread with 1/4 inch from edge of the pan. Set aside
- Combine 1 cup butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat until melted.
- Stir in sugar, 1 cup flour, eggs and vanilla
- Pour mixture over caramel topping in the pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Cool slightly and spread with chocolate frosting (see below)
Homemade Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine butter, cocoa, and water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar together, add the egg and mix well
- Mix in the molasses
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt
- Gradually add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
- Mix until well-combined
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours (overnight is preferred)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease the cookie sheets
- On a lightly floured surface, or between 2 sheets of wax paper, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick for chewy cookies or 1/8 inch thick for crispy cookies
- Cut desired shapes using cookie cutters
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cookies are firm and lightly toasted on the edges.
Happy Eating & Happy Holidays!
Passanante’s Home Food Service
It’s been a long time since we posted our last dessert recipe so today we wanted to share an old family favorite, Hummingbird Cake. This three layer treat makes a beautiful bridal shower dessert, birthday cake, or because-I-can cake… which happens to be our favorite kind! (wink)
Passanante’s Home Food Service is best known for our food delivery service and passion for hormone-free high quality meats and organic veggies, but you may not know that we’re equally as passionate about celebrating life’s moments with friends and family. We hope you will find an opportunity to enjoy this delicious cake in the company of all of your favorite people sooner rather than later.
What you’ll need for the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
What you’ll need for the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
How to prepare cream cheese frosting:
- Combine cream cheese and butter, beating until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
How to prepare Hummingbird Cake:
- Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not beat.
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans and bananas.
- Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. You can also combine the pecans in the actual frosting if you prefer.
Lots of love & happy eating,
Passanante’s Home Food Services
With the holidays just around the corner, we thought you might be in need of a new dessert recipe to spoil friends and family with. Sweetie Pie is simple to prepare, but impossible to forget. This recipe makes two 9-inch pans which may be one more than you need, but this recipe freezes well so you can save it until your next celebration. At Passanante’s Home Food Service, we’re always looking for great recipes to share on our blog. Pop onto our Facebook contest and submit your best creations for a chance to WIN 6 JUMBO Filet Mignons! Don’t forget to tell your friends to vote for your submission!
What you need for Sweetie Pie crust:
- 10 graham crackers, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter melted
What you need for Sweetie Pie filling:
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1 pint whipped cream
- Pecan or almonds for garnish
How to prepare Sweetie Pie:
- Combine crust ingredients and press into two 9-inch pans. Let set.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter until fluffy, add sugar, and continue to beat.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla; continue to beat.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating 3 minutes after each.
- Pour over crust, chill and top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with nuts and finely shaved sweet chocolate.
- Chill thoroughly.
- And indulge.
Have a friend that you think might like Passanante’s food delivery as much as you do? Don’t forget about our BIG Holiday Referral Program!
Your referral will get a gift-wrapped reusable cooler containing several pieces of our most popular meats and vegetables with a note announcing that you’ve sent them a gift. There’s absolutely no cost to you and no obligation for your referral.
For each of your referrals that agrees to receive the free sample you’ll get 2 FREE filet mignons on your next order. If a referral decides to become a customer we’ll mail you a $50 Target gift card! Email your referrals to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do the rest. 🙂