Craving a light, summery dessert after dinner? Don’t settle crumbly store-bought cookies, prepare a pan or two of these delicious lemon bars and pop the extras in the freezer for a quick craving crusher anything your sweet tooth starts to bite. If you’re into lemon meringue pie, you won’t have any complaints about these sweet and tangy treats.
Lemon Bar Ingredients:
- 4 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 Cup softened butter
- 2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 Cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 5 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Extra powdered sugar
How to Prepare Lemon Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend margarine, salt, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 2 cups flour to make soft dough.
- Press evenly into an undressed 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice, sugar, and 1/4 cup flour.
- Blend until smooth, then pour mixture over baked crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake 25 minutes or until firm.
- Let cool, then dust with powdered sugar and slice into bars.
Almond Amaretto Bars
- 1 Cup sliced almonds
- 5 Tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
- Substitute Amaretto liqueur for lemon juice.
- Omit lemon peel.
- After pouring filling over crust, sprinkle with sliced almonds.
Cherry Bon-Bon Bars
- 2 Dozen cherries, well-drained
- 1 Ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 Ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 Stick Margarine
- 5 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Substitute maraschino cherry juice for lemon juice.
- Omit peel.
- Chop well-drained cherries and add to filling.
- Omit powdered sugar topping.
- Melt semisweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate with margarine.
- Spread over bars as a glaze.
Check out a few of our other dessert recipes: