Picking a menu for a large holiday gathering can seem like a daunting task. Something for the kids, something for the picky eaters and something for everyone else – it’s a lot to think about!
Our advice? Stick with what you know. A big group gathering may not the best time to try out a brand new recipe. Not to mention, nothing brings back great memories quite like a old family favorite. Whether it’s a classic green bean casserole or your great great grandma’s curried apple squash soup – flavors are a powerful vehicle to transport you and your family back to a simpler time.
This holiday season we hope you’re able to unplug from all the distractions of 2016 and connect with what really matters – your family. Happy eating!
5 Tips For A Low-Stress Holiday Dinner
Assemble salads in advance.
- Go for a salad that uses heartier ingredients that won’t wilt or get soggy too easily like escarole, frisee, cucumbers and tomatoes.
Cut up your veggies to save time.
- Whether a dish requires boiling or roasting, the smaller the vegetables are cut, the less time it will take for each piece to cook though.
Skip the goose and ditch the roast.
- Fire up the grill and opt for a juicy steak instead! With way less prep, mess and fuss than some of the other options, steak is a delicious alternative that your family is sure to enjoy.
Share the responsibility.
- Have teens or young adults home for the holidays? Encourage them to get involved in the kitchen. Maybe this year’s a good year to pass the torch on a few recipes!
- Clean while you cook.
- Don’t let a messy kitchen keep you away from all the fun and festivities. Keep the counters tidy and load the dish washer as you go – you’ll thank yourself later.
Featured Partner: Cherish Yourself
is a new and innovative approach to wellness. Delivering world-class service in an inspiring setting, their goal is to help you transform your life in an environment where you feel cherished. Empowering you with the information that you need to achieve your optimal health, Cherish Yourself focuses on nurturing you as you take your journey to Totally Integrated Wellness.
A special offer for all Passanante’s Home Food Service customers:
Mention Passanante’s and purchase a $150 gift card to Cherish Yourself and get a FREE 50 minute massage
Mention Passanante’s and purchase a $200 gift card to Cherish Yourself and get a FREE 75 minute facial!
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season!
As we change seasons it’s time to change up your menus. Put away those summer salads and cozy up to watch the leaves fall with these hearty and satisfying treats.
Double Good Stew
Nothing says Fall like a hearty stew dinner. Enjoy Double Good Stew with warm cornbread covered in honey and a glass of your favorite red.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 1 1/2lbs. frozen mixed veggies
- 3/4 lb. frozen yellow corn
- 2 cups cubes beef
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Use 1/2 the butter to saute the cubed beef until well browned. Place in stew pot and add 1 pint of water. Start cooking over medium heat.
- Use remainder of butter to saute onion, green pepper and celery until tender and onions are clear. Add to meat and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook another 30 minutes. Add only enough water to keep good boiling action.
Easy Peanut Brittle
If you’ve got a microwave you can handle this next recipe for Easy Peanut Brittle. This is a great treat to have on-hand during the holiday season for the occasional rogue sweet tooth.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Mix together sugar, white corn syrup, peanuts and salt. Microwave on high 4 minutes.
- Remove, stir and microwave 4 minutes more then add 1 tsp. butter, 1 tsp. vanilla and microwave again for 1.5 minutes.
- Remove, stir in 1 tsp. baking soda and immediately pour on cookie sheet to cool.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Wow. What an incredible month October was! Thanks to all of your support we gained more than 500 new Facebook and Instagram followers and delivered more than 1,100 PINK Free Food Samples!
We’re so grateful for everyone’s participation in making this year our largest donation to the American Cancer Society
yet at a rock solid $6,125!
2016 Donation: $6,125
2015 Donation: $5,550
2014 Donation: $2,500
2013 Donation: $1,228
As many of you may know, Passanante’s hosted our first ever Battle of the Burgers on Saturday, Sept. 24th and it was a HUGE SUCCESS!!
A sincere thank you to everyone who came out to enjoy the good weather, great food and fun activities – we love this community and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to get to know some of our neighbors a little better. From cornhole competitors to clever chefs, artists to face painters and families of foodies, the Battle of the Burgers had it all!
A special thank you to our generous judges for their excellent palettes and continued support of both our community and Passanante’s Home Food Service. We so appreciate you spending the day with us!
- Greg Pezza, Councilman of the Bristol Borough
- Justin Saxton from CBM
- Dave Nemeth from Radcliffe Insurance
- Rick Mousseau from Time Investments
To all of the competitors in the burger cook-off, thanks for your great energy and positivity as the battle raged – all of the entries were outstanding and we loved watching each of you in action!
And finally, congratulations to the winners of the Battle of the Burgers! You guys are true burger aficionados and your entries were out of this world.
- Bill Brady – All Meats Category Winner
- Team Mill Street Cantina – All Beef Category Winner
- Sam Fiorelli (Team Agostino Foods) – All Beef Category Winner
- Ismeal Rivera (Chef Hermie on Wheels) – Purple Cow (most unique) Award Winner
Stay tuned to the blog for details on each of our winning entries and get busy perfecting your burger for next year’s competition!
Thanks again to everyone for an incredible day!
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and for the 4th year we will be raising funds to donate to the American Cancer Society, but we need YOUR HELP!
2016 Donation Goal: $7,000
2015 Donation: $5,550
2014 Donation: $2,500
2013 Donation: $1,228
How can you help us reach our goal??
Spread The Word!
We have 1,000 PINK cooler bags ready to be packed with delicious gourmet food samples and for each one we deliver during the month of October we will donate $5.
In addition to the gourmet food sample donations we pledge to donate $1 for each new Facebook Fan and Instagram Follower we get all month long!
We hope you’ll spread the word and be a part of something incredible this October by joining us in supporting the American Cancer Society!
Free Food Sample Request Form = www.homefoodservices.com/free-food-sample
Facebook = www.facebook.com/homefoodservices
Instagram = @Passanantesfood
Whether you’re looking to win $500 CASH, or just looking for a fun activity for the whole family – we invite you to join us for an afternoon of food, games and fun for everyone!
In celebration of our 100 year anniversary we’re hosting a Battle of the Burgers cook-off competition right here in Bristol, PA and we want YOU to come show your stuff! Passanante’s Home Food Service will supply competitors with both a grill and 2 lbs. of either ground beef, chicken, lamb, veal, bison, turkey or pork for the cook-off. Winners will be selected in 3 categories…
- Best in Show (Beef) -Prize of $500 CASH and a feature post on our blog, social media pages and newsletter
- Best in Show (Non-Beef) -Prize of $500 CASH and a feature post on our blog, social media pages and newsletter
- The Purple Cow (most unique) – Prize of 6 months of FREE Passanante’s burgers and a feature post on our blog, social media pages and newsletter
Interested in competing? Visit www.BattleOfTheBurgers.EventBrite.com to download your entry form.
We hope you’ll join us for this great celebration and friendly competition!
Corn Hole Tournament
Saturday, September 24th
12 to 6pm
1901 Farragut Ave.
Bristol, PA 19007
More info at www.BattleOfTheBurgers.EventBrite.com
Free To Attend – Competitors Wanted!